Wednesday, September 16, 2009

In the beginning...

God created the heavens and the Earth and that other stuff. Then he was all like, "Man's gotta eat, aiight?" So he created food. It is from this 9th day of the creation story where I take my inspiration.

The idea for this blog started just a few days ago. Today is the 15th of September, 2009, by the way. I have been stressing lately about what to do for my career. It all began when I got back from Italy. (Cue dream wipe)...(interrupt dream wipe). I should mention, I went to Italy. But that is a completely different blog. Let's get back to that dream wi...(cue dream wipe)

I arrived home from Italy, a gastronomical and social adventure that has proven to be the best experience of my life, in early July. Shortly thereafter, I started to readjust to my native culture and homeland and in doing so, realized that I have absolutely no idea what I want out of life except happiness. I searched for a career path for several months arriving exactly back where I started, which was, needless to say, hanging out, talking to friends, drinking beer and cooking for myself. Cooking...

"You should go to culinary school!", some suggested. But naah. Poser! My brother did that and in his words, "Let me give a piece of unsolicited advice; don't go to culinary school." 'Nuff said.

So I began to ponder what I like to do and what can get me money. I came to a road block. It's not because the things I like to do don't make money as much as it is that I don't really have many real interests. (Really selling myself here.)

Well what do I do well? I write pretty well. I eat well and completely. I've never had trouble finishing what's on my plate. What do you get when you mix the two together? Food critic. And what do you call someone who gives unsolicited advice and critiques? A Mattera brother.

Alas, here we are. My first entry in my blog aptly titled "S'pretty Good." This is my reaction to the food I taste most of the time. Maybe it should have been, "s'pretty good. No?" But that domain was taken.

I have nothing to review or talk about much yet. I think I will structure this website as such:
Food Reviews: I will talk about restaurants I've been to lately and what I had and what I thought about it.
Food I make: I think food is beautiful. And my camera has a photo setting called, "food" so it makes everything I make or eat look appetizing. I think I'll just talk about what I've made recently and how it turned out.
Alcohol: I like beer, I like wine and I like mixed drinks so I think I'll talk about them. Which are my favorites. Which are the best bang for the buck.
Recipes: I'll discuss some good ideas for impressin' the 'laydays.' I mean not realllly impressing them but just something better than microwaving something or going out. Some simple recipes for people who don't often cook.

Let's see what happens, shall we?

Feedback is welcome and encouraged.
Yours,
David

4 comments:

  1. It's funny--I often thought of becoming a food critic myself, or creating a blog about food. Maybe I will one day. I am going crazy looking for a job right now, so I feel you. I am so jealous that your camera has a 'food' button...I need that! I usually take a picture of whatever I make, and it never looks as good on the screen as it actually is. By the way, this is Theresa (your cousin). I'm not a blog reader but I will try to check in once in awhile because it looks like this will be really interesting! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. David, you're awesome. I'm totally going to bookmark this.

    this is Sam btw.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This blog... 'spretty good, ya know? Vivace!

    ReplyDelete
  4. " ..what do you call someone who gives unsolicited advice and critiques? A Mattera brother."

    ..that was s'pretty, david. i almost laughed out loud ;)

    and speaking of cocktails, i'm trying out a new one tonight
    called, the cuke, made with hendricks gin, fancy!! i'll let you
    know how it is. -c

    ReplyDelete