Monday, September 21, 2009

Lunch time: What a beautiful thing


It's that time again. The time after I get off work, before I start reading and scrambling to do the work I haven't done over the week I've had to do it the day before it's due. What to eat? What do I have? What do I need? Who am I REALLY? Those questions are often answered with the assistance of the great people over at Belmont Butchery, which happens to be next door to the flower shop where I work. Not only is that the case, but my brother works there and it's nice to see him too. So today, after a fairly brief day at work, I popped over with food on the mind and money in the bank (shorty, whachoo drank?) I had a little chat with Tanya, the proprietor and then a menu came to mind.

"I have sauce, chicken cutlets my dad made, and mozzarella cheese. I should buy guanciale, and bread and put it all together to make a super chicken parm" said my internal dialogue. So that's what I did. I brought home my goodies, and started cutting and cooking.

I started by sauteing the guanciale, which is pig cheek by the way, on its own in a pan until it was crispy. After I had done that, I emptied out the fat, leaving a sufficient sheen in the pan, and threw in my pre-made chicken cutlets (sounds bad, but pre-made by hand by my father, so it isn't). I dumped a big spoon of sauce on each one and then a little water and a little white wine. I added the water and wine to make sure my sauce didn't dry out and then I could create some steam to more thoroughly heat my chicken. While that sizzled, I sliced open my Flour Garden bread (the best in Richmond, hands down), and crumbled in the guanciale on one side, then cut pieces of mozzarella on top. On the other side, I put my chicken pieces and the sauce. I popped the two sides into a 400something degree oven for about 5 minutes to melt the cheese and crisp the bread.

S'pretty good. I sprinkled on a bit of Parmesan cheese and dove in. The sauce and wine combo mixed with the slightly smoky baconesc cheek meat and the breaded chicken...ah. And then melted cheese. Need I say more? I would be happy to buy this sandwich in a restaurant. Not to pat myself on the back or anything. That's why I keep it at s'pretty good and now s'incredible. Although "Sincredible" would make an AWESOME metal band name.

2 comments:

  1. don't forget that delicious billy bread! mmm sesame :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never heard of putting white wine in the chicken parm, but that sounds really good! I noticed that something simple like adding water to something can make a huge difference. Whenever Nana and Papa give me a run-through of what they made for lunch that day, water is usually involved in the process of some sauce or dish they are making. I need to use it more. Now I am craving chicken parm!!

    ReplyDelete