Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Ooops...

I did it again. I let this blog get stale and I forgot to write anything in it since Christmas. I said I wasn't going to do this and I even promised that I wouldn't in my last entry.

Okay. Starting back. I've got a good one this time! This will give real definition to the name of this blog and start to even out the way I, and I hope you look at my site. Until now everything I've talked about, I've raved about. This is not what "s'pretty good" means. So far restaurants like Comfort and Pho So 1 (not sure if I've written about that one yet but I'm sure I will soon) have been REALLY good. Mouth wateringly good. The kind of good that makes you forget about poor people and feel happy to have everything you have. Finishing a meal at Comfort or Pho So 1 or Croaker's Spot makes you proud to live where you live and inpires you to show everyone you know how good food can be. It's like the eurphoria and energetic sleepiness akin to skipping away from a roller coaster after just being hurled through the heavens at 90 mph. If you're into that kind of thing.

This entry is not like that. I'm going to talk about what I had for dinner last night and again for lunch today, the key being that on the second go-around, it was reheated in a microwave and eaten at my desk in front of the General Assembly session.

Last night, Erynn wasn't feeling so well so I made a nice light but filling meal of spinach pesto over whole wheat pasta, lightly panfried flounder filets and roasted root veggies. It came out great last night. The pesto could have used a bit more basil and the vegetables could have cooked a bit crisper. All in all, it was pretty good. Or, at the time, when asked what I thought, I would have said, "Yeah. S'pretty good."

Today was even deeper into the s'pretty good realm. After a minute and a half in the microwave, the pasta became textureless and the pesto lost all suggestions of once being fresh spinach and basil . Any crispiness the vegetables once had was lost to internal boiling provided by their zapping. Better than Subway, but now occupying the lower regions of the s'pretty good class whereas last night, the same meal, plus a piece of fish, occupied the upper stretches of s'pretty good categorization.

If my friend Andy were to rate my meal today on a scale of 1-10, using the familiar scale of 10 being an Arby's roast beef and cheddar and a 1 being a McDonald's snack wrap... wait. Bad scale. Too precise...With a 10 being Arby's roast beef and a 1 being a...piece of wonder bread with mayo, my reheated lunch would receive a rating of 7.2, while last night it was off the charts.

The reason I write this is two fold.
1) The General Assembly just had crossover and work is slow.
2) I want to explain how I view food and assure you that I don't love everything I eat. What fun would that be? I also don't want to hurt anyone's feelings, so I'll criticize my own cooking.

I hope that this entry inspires me to write more often. Plenty of delicious things to eat and describe in the future. And Erynn is feeling much better today.

No comments:

Post a Comment